Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Baby Update

Grace and I had a weekly checkup yesterday. In the beginning we went to the dr. every 4 weeks, then 3 weeks, then 2 weeks. Now we are on to weekly checkups. I never thought this time would get here and now we are so close to meeting our little girl. We had our first non-stress test yesterday. This is done in high risk pregnancies or when the dr. detects complications. They hooked us up to monitors to measure fetal movement during a 20-60 min. period. I have a little clicker that I push every time the baby moves and it charts it on the fetal heart monitor. This way the dr. can see if the baby is in distress when it moves or if the heart rate remains stable. They like to monitor for 20-60 minutes to see enough movement to judge if the baby is ok. Grace was done in 3-4 minutes. She's a bit hyper! She had so many movements they didn't need to continue for the full time. The nurse and I joked that we may need to look into treatment of hyperactivity before long. Then we had an ultra-sound to check the fluid levels around the baby. They were perfect so we're good to go until next week when we repeat the tests. We're still planning to do the test on the lungs in two weeks to see if they are developed enough to deliver. That test should be around the 15th or so. If the lungs are ready the dr. said I can have the baby any day I want. That gives us less than two weeks to get ready for the big day. The nursery is all ready and we are settled into the new house so I guess all that's left is to add Grace to the picture!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait, of course I'm still routing for the 26th!

    Aunt Lorraine

    ReplyDelete